14 April 2010

Supporting End Users in Coordinating Multiple Visualizations

As part of my PhD research, I am looking at ways to make visual data analysis more accessible to end users without data analysis expertise. Specifically, I am researching how they can easily coordinate multiple visualizations. This has led to the development of web-based visual analytics research prototype, which I evaluated in a user study. The results indicate that novel concepts such as drop target highlighting, drop previews and using multiple user defined sets are useful and easily usable for end users.

I presented the tool and the results (see poster and presentation below) at the IBM University Days 2010. A version of the visual analytics environment that is tailored to exploring biomedical ontologies is available at: bio-mixer.appspot.com


No comments: